Astir technologies proposes the use of Jython to automate and integrate Oracle EPM and BI applications.
Jython is a Java implementation of Python that combines expressive power with clarity. Jython is freely available for both commercial and non-commercial use and is distributed with source code. Jython is complementary to Java and is especially suited for the following tasks:
Embedded scripting – Java programmers can add the Jython libraries to their system to allow end users to write simple or complicated scripts that add functionality to the application.
Interactive experimentation – Jython provides an interactive interpreter that can be used to interact with Java packages or with running Java applications. This allows programmers to experiment and debug any Java system using Jython.
Rapid application development – Python programs are typically 2-10X shorter than the equivalent Java program. This translates directly to increased programmer productivity. The seamless interaction between Python and Java allows developers to freely mix the two languages both during development and in shipping products.
There are numerous alternative languages implemented for Java besides the fact that most of the EPM and BI stack are implemented with Java. The following features help to separate Jython from the rest:
- Can easily use Essbase Java API
- Can easily use Oracle EPM and BI API’s
- Can integrate into Oracle Data Integrator packages.
- Dynamic compilation to Java – leads to highest possible performance without sacrificing interactivity.
- Ability to extend existing Java classes in Jython – allows effective use of abstract classes.
- Optional static compilation – allows creation of applets, servlets, beans, …
- Bean Properties – make use of Java packages much easier.
- Python Language – combines remarkable power with very clear syntax. It also supports a full object-oriented programming model which makes it a natural fit for Java’s OO design.